OCN: Competency Explorer
|T3 Open Competencies Network|
|OC Network Home|
|OC Network Workgroups|
|Advancing Open Competencies (AOC)|
|Technical Advisory Workgroup (TAW)|
|OC Network Projects|
|C3 Webinar Series|
|Elsewhere on this wiki|
|T3 Wiki Home|
|Data and Technology Standards Network|
|Jobs and Workforce Data Network|
|Learning and Employment Record Network|
The Open Competencies Network (OCN) Competency Explorer, aims to make competency frameworks readily available to humans and machines by developing a membership trust network of open registries holding one or more competency frameworks and by enabling search and retrieval of those frameworks and their competencies from any registry node in the network regardless of the technical standard used to express the competency data.
The OCN broadly takes the concept of a competency to include any attribute required to perform a work role including knowledge, skills, abilities, dispositions, tasks, and habits of mind. The Network understands a competency framework (Asset) as an instance of a logically related set of competencies based on a specific competency framework model that has been encoded using a recognized metamodel standard such as, but not limited to, 1edTech’s (IMS) CASE, Credential Engine’s CTDL-ASN, and University of Washington’s ASN. Since the Competency Explorer standard does not require a registry to natively use any particular metamodel, it relies on a transformation, or interchange service to transform instance data following one metamodel into instance data following a different metamodel. In the Competency Explorer instance based on this specification, the transformation service used is Rosetta Lenssm by Eduworkstm.
The Network infrastructure has formal mechanisms of trust that protect the integrity and rights of registry owners and competency framework contributors by promoting practices that honor constraints on access, use and retention of retrieved competency frameworks and competencies.
- Short Prototype Search Service Demonstration Video
Competency Explorer Enhancement Project
- Competency Explorer Use Case Analysis: Use cases from requirements working group (RWSC) analysed to elicit the technical features that would be required for each use case.
- Competency Explorer Feature Analysis: The features required for all the use cases listed with details such as which use cases they fulfil.
- Competency Explorer Project Plan (Project Plan Number: OCFC: PP-002) describes the project analyse and implement where possible the features required for the proposed use cases.
- Search technology demonstrator https://tool.ocf-collab.org/ - This is a staging server used during the development project, that means it is used for testing and is not "production quality". In particular it does not have a full complement of data and its functionality will vary and occasionally fail. As it is a technology demonstrator less attention has been paid to user interface and user experience than would be necessary in production-level search and exploration node; it demonstrates the data that is available and the searches that can be built on that data, the architecture of the Competency Explorer is such that each node would be able to implement user interfaces that met their own requirements.
- OCFC Github Repo ■ OCFC Search & Retrieval Admin Documentation (draft)
- 2020-21 Search Service Agenda & Notes
TAW Meeting Decks Covering the Competency Explorer
For more information on TAW activities related to the Competency Explorer see the TAW Meetings wiki. The Competency Explorer was formerly called the OCFC Search Service and that is reflected in the older presentations.
June 22, 2022 meeting topics: Continue to build out use case requirements via the TAW Use Case wiki.
June 8, 2022 meeting topics: Continue to build out use case requirements via the TAW Use Case wiki.
May 25, 2022 meeting topics: Continue to build out use case requirements via the TAW Use Case wiki.
May 11, 2022 meeting topics: Continue to build out use case requirements via the TAW Use Case wiki.
April 13, 2022 meeting topics: Technical Requirements Arising from Initial OCFC Search Service Use Cases
February 2, 2022 meeting topics: Initial OCFC Search Service Use Cases and RWSC Use Cases for Search Service
January 12, 2022 meeting topics: Discussion: Decentralizing the Metamodel Interchange and Initial OCFC Search Service Use Cases
December 8, 2021 meeting topics: Completing the OCF Collab Search Service - Updating the Transaction Log Infrastructure and Decentralizing the Metamodel Interchanger
November 10, 2021 meeting topic: OCF Collab Search Service Status
October 13, 2021 meeting topic: OCF Collab Service - Conceptual Model & Its Components
September 29, 2021 meeting topic: OCF Collab Service - Pan-Ecosystem Search of Competencies & Skills
Network architecture, protocols and data model design
Draft specifications for the Competency Explorer from the design phase (October 2019–April 2020) are set out below. This documentation uses the old name: Open Competency Framework Collaborative Search Service.
- Chapter 01. Getting Started
- Chapter 02. Glossary
- Chapter 03. Directory Data Model
- Chapter 04. Handling Requests
- Chapter 05. Transaction Log & Entry
- Chapter 06. Trust Node Member Onboarding
- Chapter 07. Class and Property Definitions
- Chapter 08. Trust Member Policies
- Chapter 09. Competency Framework Models
- Chapter 10. Appendices